Slider

5 TIPS FOR DEALING WITH DRY HAIR

Thursday, 1 December 2016

If I could go back in time and change one thing about my hair, it would be to never dye it. I had pretty normal/healthy hair up until the age of 14 when I discovered hair dye and decided to dye it a ton of different colours. What started off as dark brown turned into bright red. If you've dyed your hair red before then you'll understand when I say how it's an absolute pain to get rid of. I had to strip my hair and then use semi permanent brown dye, yet even that didn't remove it completely. For the past 2 years (nearly) I have been hair dye free and I've let it grow out back to my natural colour. I still have a tiny bit of red tinge to the ends of my hair but it's not that noticeable. So, as you can imagine I have been dealing with dry/damaged hair for a good few years. The condition of it is much better nowadays ever since I've stopped dying it, it's definitely not the healthiest but it's better than what it used to be like. I also do a few extra things to my hair which help with the dryness. I have put together a few tips on how to deal with dry hair and what type of products I use to help hydrate and nourish those nasty dry strands. 

Coconut Oil
This has to be on the top of my list because it has honestly made such a difference to my hair. The vitamins and fatty acids which are naturally found in the oil help to nourish the scalp and remove build up from the hair follicles. It overall makes your hair feel so soft and hydrated after each use. I normally treat my hair with coconut oil once a week. I take a generous scoop of it and warm the oil up with my hands so that it becomes a liquid, then I'll apply it on every single strand (yes, even on my scalp). I then tie my hair up into a bun and wrap it with clingfilm to lock in the heat. I'll either leave this in for 2-3 hours if I'm not doing anything for the day or I'll apply it before I go to bed and I'll sleep with it on then wash it out in the morning. I shampoo twice as I feel like once isn't enough to get it all out and I use a very small amount of conditioners just on my ends. 

Don't wash your hair everyday
I did this all the time until I found out that it's actually extremely damaging to wash your hair every single day because it strips your hair of any natural oils which are being produced. Try washing your hair every other day or even every 3 days if your hair can handle that. I personally only wash my hair twice a week, I know it sounds disgusting but I'm quite lucky as my hair doesn't start to get greasy until after the 3rd or 4th day. Also, washing your hair less will actually help it to not get so greasy really quickly in the future. 

Drink water, lots of water
Dryness can also be due to dehydration. Water has so many benefits for your hair, skin and nails that it's so important you're getting a good water intake each day. Not going to lie but I am simply the worst when it comes to drinking water as I'd much prefer a glass of Coke or Lemonade and that's OK. Have them in moderation! Start off with drinking flavored water which is obviously a bit more exciting, then move onto regular water. It honestly improves the condition of your hair so much. Green tea is also a great substitute. 

Try to avoid heat styling as much as you can
I've been straightening/curling my hair since the age of 13 and back then I didn't know what a heat defense spray was so I never used it. I also always blow dried my hair after every wash, then I would go right for the hair straighteners without protecting my locks. I'm not saying you shouldn't use styling tools I mean, I use them most days. I'm saying try to cut down on the heat as much as you possibly can by using heat protectors. I've managed to not use hair dryers anymore as they just make my strands dry as f*&k! I like to let my hair air dry and only style the pieces that need it the most. 

Use an old T-Shirt instead of a towel 
It may sound a bit weird but it's one little step that I take to help with the dryness. I don't to use a towel to dry my hair with as it's a rough texture which means that it damages your hair making it even more dry. I like a use a old T-Shirt when patting my hair dry as it's a lot more softer and gentle on each strand. It's a bit weird and abnormal at first but it does a world of a difference.


Do you have any tips that I haven't mentioned? I'd love to know!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan