Slider

Tips on How To Avoid Cakey Foundation

Monday, 6 March 2017

We’ve all been there with the ‘cake face’ at some point in our lives. Multiple times for me in fact. It’s so easy in my opinion to go a bit overboard with foundation, if you don’t think you have enough coverage then you tend to layer more and more on when you can actually cover the rest up with concealer and powder. I’m going to share with you some of my top tips on how to avoid cakey foundation. Just a quick disclaimer: I am in no means a makeup artist, these are just some of the techniques that work on my skin. Makeup has no rules, it’s an art and you can do it however you want to do it.

HAVING A GOOD SKINCARE ROUTINE
I neglected having a good skincare routine for a while but it honestly helps so much with the application of makeup and also the finished result. I like to make sure that I take off every last big of makeup at the end of the day by using a face cleanser to break down and dissolve it from my skin. I use a gentle face exfoliator twice a week to get rid of any dead skin and impurities that may be hidden in my pores and a good moisturiser is always vital when it comes to keeping your skin hydrated. I feel like having a good skincare routine make my makeup go on a lot smoother and it ends up making my base makeup more flawless looking.

PREP YOUR SKIN WITH PRIMER
Primer is essentially a base for your foundation which allows it to go on smoother and last longer. There are so many different formulas of primer available for different skin types – they have hydrating primers for dry skin, smoothing primers for those who have more open pores, brightening primers for the dull skin and many more. After applying my primer, I like to let it sink into my skin for a few minutes so that it can absorb fully.

APPLY THE FOUNDATION GRADUALLY
This is the biggest mistake I make when it comes to the application of foundation. When I first started off with wearing foundation I would cake and layer it on like there was no tomorrow, it was a bit ridiculous. The trick is to gradually build the foundation up to your desired coverage, this way you don’t end up caking so much of it on all at once. I like to start off with one pump of foundation and if I need more on certain areas then I’ll gradually build it up however I am currently using the Milani 2 in 1 Conceal & Perfect foundation at the moment which is very full coverage, I find that one pump of this is enough to cover my whole face.

TRY USING A BEAUTY BLENDER
Using a damp beauty blender/sponge to apply foundation with will help to make it look more natural rather than it look like the foundation is sitting on top of your skin. If you’re like me and you prefer using a brush for your foundation then great, however sometimes I feel like a brush can make my skin look a bit textured and cakey therefore I like to go over my face with a damp sponge afterwards to help get rid of any excess foundation that may be sitting on top of my skin.

DON’T GO OVERBOARD WITH THE POWDER
I like using translucent pressed powders to set my foundation with. I find that many times, I have gone a bit too overboard with the powder that it ends up making my face look dry, textured and just overall ‘powdery’. I’ve recently learnt to be a bit more weary of how much powder I put onto my skin, you only really need a little bit to set your foundation with.

USE A SETTING SPRAY
Which brings me onto my next point… setting spray. This will not only set your makeup for it to last all day long, but if you have accidentally applied too much powder then the setting spray will help to get rid of that powdery look as well as making your skin look healthy. Mac Fix+ and New Look Fix setting sprays are my two favourites.

I’d love to know some of your favourite tips on how to avoid cakey foundation!
-------------------------------------------------------------
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan